Getting a green card requires a lot of money. Expenses of getting a Green card include; a processing fee and medical examination fee. Details of payment methods are usually given on the USCIS website. Payment for different immigration forms is separate, so check the relevant page and information before paying. Paying the correct fee is key to a successful immigration application.
What is the Green Card application fee?
United States government provides different ways to get a green card according to eligibility. Each method of getting a green card has various forms with other procedures, requirements, and filing fees. For example, an immigrant already in the United States can get their green card by filing Form I-185; this form is for getting the status of a permanent resident. Likewise, if someone who already is a citizen of the United States is referring you, then they will need to file a petition form, for example, Form I-130, which is for a Petition for a foreign relative.
After filing the right form, you must pay an application fee to get your green card. This fee is needed to process immigrant visas and green cards. You must pay it online. Failure to pay the fee properly will result in the rejection of the immigration application.
How to pay?
USCIS instructions allow you to pay the fee online. You don’t need to pay the fee to the bank, USCIS office, or embassy. By following these measures, you can easily pay your Green Card application fee:
- First and foremost, check USCIS’s official website to check the fee. Make sure you fill out an updated document for an application form.
- After applying, the U.S. embassy will provide you with the necessary information to pay the fee, including your foreign Registration Number (Also known as a number), instructions for paying the fee, DOS case I.D., immigrant Data Summary, and a sealed visa package.
- Make sure you provide accurate information for the payment procedure while paying it online.
- Sign in on the USCIS website. From the drop-down menu, choose USCIS Immigrant Fee. Pick the payment option that is most appropriate for you. In the U.S., you can pay with a bank account, a credit card, or a debit card. Additionally, you need to enter a bank account’s routing number. You can now pay your immigration fee using the form you choose.
Select a payment method that is most suitable for you. You can pay using a
- Credit card
- Debit card, or
- A bank account in the United States
These are only online because paying via check or in the bank is not permitted.
The fee you pay as an application fee is non-refundable, which means upon rejection, cancellation, or change of mind, you will not get your money back. If USCIS has not yet begun processing your case, which entails cashing the check or running your credit card information, there is a slim chance that you will be able to receive your money back. Withdraw your application and check cancellation if you made a payment via check.
The office in charge of the case must receive your request to withdraw if the USCIS has approved the Petition, but the immigrant visa or green card has not yet been issued.
When will you get your Green Card?
Once your fees are paid, you can enter the country. USCIS will send your green card to the address you gave when you applied for immigration if you have relocated to a new spot within the United States and is no longer a resident at that address. If so, you must update your information in USCIS records for mailing your green card to your present address. You can monitor the application’s progress for a green card by visiting the USCIS website and selecting case status. Following paying the fee and waiting 90 days after you arrive in the country, you should submit an inquiry request if you haven’t gotten your green card.s