If you don’t have a valid visa and still want to travel back to the United States, you need to file your application for Form I-131. Reentry permits are typically helpful for those living outside the United States for a while and now wanting to return. There are conditions to meet for non-permanent residents, such as Form I-131. Even permanent residents might need to apply for a reentry permit if they spend too much time abroad. It is because, according to the law, they will no longer be able to enter the country using their Green Card after a certain amount of time. A Reentry Permit can assist in avoiding this issue. This form is used for re-entering the United States if you are waiting for your refugee status, even if you have refugee or asylum status, or for parole as a non-citizen.


If you want to apply for any of the following travel documents, you may need to file Form I-131:

  • Reentry Permit
  • A refugee travel document
  • Advance Parole document

Requirements and supporting documents would be different for each one of these applications.


The following people are eligible for Form I-131:

  • Permanent residents
  • Non-permanent residents
  • Refugee
  • Asylee
  • DACA recipients


Following is the required documentation for the application for Form I-131:

  • Filled Form I-131
  • Identity documents ( it may include passport, ID card, driving license, etc.)
  • Passport size photographs
  • Filing fee
  • Biometrics
  • Refugee status documentation or asylum grant documents(if you are applying for A refugee travel document)

In applying for a reentry permit, you also need a copy of Form I-551 or alternative documents per the requirements described in the instructions on the USCIS website. Documents required for Parole document varies on whether you are living in the U.S or outside the U.S. The competence to attend a biometrics session with the USCIS and supporting documents that must be supplied with the application form are prerequisites for filing Form I-131.


Processing Time:

Your form I-131, Application for Travel Document, can take the USCIS at least three months to process. Consult the USCIS processing timelines for the most recent estimates. It might be possible to ask for accelerated processing for a travel document in specific situations. These particular situations can be:

But to request expedient, you must prove any of the abovementioned situations. Failure to provide the proof may result in the rejection of the request. Expedited services cannot be requested because the applicant failed to submit the I-131 application on time or answer demands for more proof.


Filing Fee:

There are no such eligibility criteria for who should pay and from where one should pay the filing fee. You can pay a filing fee from anywhere in the world. You can use the following payment method:

  • Credit Card
  • Debit Card
  • Direct Bank Transfer

Remember to save the payment receipt because you’ll need to show it on your application. Before paying the filing fee, check the USCIS website to see the current fee. It typically ranges from $550 to $600. When you visit a U.S. Embassy or Consulate to file Form I-131A, you must bring proof of payment. The payment is not transferable. The application may be denied if the full fee is not paid.


To pay the fee, you will need the following information:

  • First and last names
  • Date of birth
  • A-Number
  • Green Card
  • Reentry Permit.


  • .https://learn.simplecitizen.com/immigration-support/form-i-131-supporting-document-checklist/


  • https://citizenpath.com/faq/request-expedited-processing-travel-document/




  • https://my.uscis.gov/travel-document